Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Second Tri


I must say, working as a coach was a very fulfilling job. The pay was not much but the amount of service was plentiful. And realizing it now, that is pretty much what some of us are called to do- serve others. Ironically, i quit my coaching career and decided to go back to my former job as a stock trader. I guess my roots can be traced to my gambling days when i was young. But do not be shocked my friends, it was only small time pusoy dos and mahjong. Nevertheless, it was in my blood and i could not resist getting back into the markets. But all is well, i am still able to do sports and coach on the side. Working as a coach gave me the priviledge to meet different athletes from elite pros to the recreational and aspiring kids. It was a treat. I have always been fond of kids even though i do not have any of my own (yet):). Working with kids has certainly developed my patience and has left me with an innermost joy. I was able to work with other coaches as well who were as inspiring to me as the athletes themselves. Coaches Matt and Francis shared with me the same passion for sports and sports training. It was with two great friends that i was able to participate in my first individual triathlon. Enter EXTRI 06, Laluz Beach Resort, San Juan, Batangas.
I was far from being in triathlon shape for this race. After my first extri, I stuck to two other sports, basketball and badminton. It was only at the late part of the year that Francis asked me if i wanted to join them in Laluz. I tried to encourage my other good pal, Alfus, to join us also. Alf and I always had this dream to compete in a triathlon someday. Unfortunately, he was busy setting up his business at that time. But that dream would be fulfilled the following year! (watch out for extri 3). I was undecided because i lacked training and was not sure if i could do a full race. A month and a half before the race, I decided to go for it. My objective was just to finish, have fun and to be with my two fellow coaches.
Race day came and i was in my speedo trunks while the other triathletes were in their trisuits. It was quite obvious who the newbie was. Jitters ran up my spine as we were about to start. I said a little prayer and we were off. I planned to mix up my stroke as i shifted from freestyle to breaststroke and back. I definitely did not have the right form back then and kicked heavily. Matt and I finished the swim leg at almost the same time. I felt good moving into transition one that i would be able to bike alongside Matt. But T1 took forever as i struggled to put on my socks and shoes. I got on my non-cleated mountain bike and pedaled away. The bike course was not as easy as i thought it would be. We went through a dry sandy river bed where i had get off and push my bike. We passed through winding fire roads and tricky single tracks. It was quite technical. As i finished the 25km bike leg, I was not sure whether i still had energy for the run. Back then, power gels were still unknown to me. About a kilometer into the trail run, I bonked out. And much worse, I cramped on both thighs. From then on, it was like a stroll on the beach. I finished with a time of 2 hours and 25 minutes. Despite the weak finish, I had a blast! I guess for most athletes, the joy and satisfaction came from the feeling of getting through such a physically demanding challenge. From testing one's limits or from pushing until threshhold. I guess, we can all attest to that feeling.
As evening came, we had a banquet. The highlight of the night came in the awarding ceremonies. Francis and Matt placed 3rd in their respective age-group categories. I was happy for them. For Francis, his success in this race served as a stepping stone for where he is now in the realm of the sport.
After this race, the three of us moved along different paths. Matt went into frisbee, Francis pursued triathlon, and I continued my badminton. Until my next post, my first ride!....

No comments: